Myriad, Zoetrope link up

For each pic, co. will finance 75% of budget

NEW YORK– Myriad Pictures is near a deal to take over the majority of the financing and foreign sales of Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Pictures’ 10-pic slate from German shingle VCL.

For each pic, Myriad will come aboard to finance 75% of the budget, while UA will pony up the remaining 25%.

Under the new pact, Zoetrope will retain its domestic distribution arrangement with United Artists. Myriad will handle international sales to the remaining five pics in Zoetrope’s deal with VCL, all of which, except one, will be budgeted at under $10 million. In addition, company will take over the sales of the unsold territories for four of Zoetrope’s completed five films.

Coppola, who has elected to shutter a Gotham office and move some staffers to his San Francisco headquarters, will retain creative control of the films Zoetrope makes. Myriad will not pay Zoetrope employees’ salaries but will pay development fees for projects which Zoetrope and Myriad agree to make.

Part of the Zoetrope package of films is likely to be a sequel to “Jeepers Creepers,” Zoetrope’s first release under the VCL deal, which Myriad will finance with a budget well over $10 million.

The completed Zoetrope pics, due for release next year via UA, are “Assassination Tango,” directed by Robert Duvall; “CQ,” helmed by Roman Coppola; “No Such Thing,” directed by Hal Hartley; “Pumpkin,” directed by Adam Larson Broder and Anthony Abrams, starring Christina Ricci. Myriad will handle worldwide rights to “Assassination Tango.”

Run by Kirk D’Amico and Philip von Alvensleben, Los Angeles-based Myriad is partially owned by Frankfurt-based In-Motion, which also owns U.K. sales shingle J & M Entertainment.

Myriad is financing, producing and handling worldwide distribution for the romantic comedy “Why Can’t I Be Audrey Hepburn,” starring Jennifer Love Hewitt and currently in pre-production. It will finance and produce “Rain Falls,” starring Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette, which begins production next month.

More Film

  • Les Arcs Film Festival

    Les Arcs European Film Festival's Industry Village Kicks Off with Strong Roster

    NEW YORK– Myriad Pictures is near a deal to take over the majority of the financing and foreign sales of Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Pictures’ 10-pic slate from German shingle VCL. For each pic, Myriad will come aboard to finance 75% of the budget, while UA will pony up the remaining 25%. Under the new […]

  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi

    Box Office: 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Rockets to $215 Million Opening Weekend

    NEW YORK– Myriad Pictures is near a deal to take over the majority of the financing and foreign sales of Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Pictures’ 10-pic slate from German shingle VCL. For each pic, Myriad will come aboard to finance 75% of the budget, while UA will pony up the remaining 25%. Under the new […]

  • Disney-Fox Deal Sets Up Scramble for

    Disney-Fox Deal Unleashes Flood of Free-Agent Executives, Talent

    NEW YORK– Myriad Pictures is near a deal to take over the majority of the financing and foreign sales of Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Pictures’ 10-pic slate from German shingle VCL. For each pic, Myriad will come aboard to finance 75% of the budget, while UA will pony up the remaining 25%. Under the new […]

  • Anita Hill

    Anita Hill Chairs Hollywood Anti-Sexual Harassment Commission Formed by Top Execs

    NEW YORK– Myriad Pictures is near a deal to take over the majority of the financing and foreign sales of Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Pictures’ 10-pic slate from German shingle VCL. For each pic, Myriad will come aboard to finance 75% of the budget, while UA will pony up the remaining 25%. Under the new […]

  • Warren Beatty

    Arnon Milchan Sues Warren Beatty Over 'Rules Don't Apply' Flop

    NEW YORK– Myriad Pictures is near a deal to take over the majority of the financing and foreign sales of Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Pictures’ 10-pic slate from German shingle VCL. For each pic, Myriad will come aboard to finance 75% of the budget, while UA will pony up the remaining 25%. Under the new […]

  • Oscar Isaac Addams Family

    Oscar Isaac in Talks to Voice Gomez Addams in Animated 'Addams Family' Movie

    NEW YORK– Myriad Pictures is near a deal to take over the majority of the financing and foreign sales of Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Pictures’ 10-pic slate from German shingle VCL. For each pic, Myriad will come aboard to finance 75% of the budget, while UA will pony up the remaining 25%. Under the new […]

  • Jennifer Lawrence

    Publicists for Jennifer Lawrence, Daisy Ridley, Amy Adams Form New Firm

    NEW YORK– Myriad Pictures is near a deal to take over the majority of the financing and foreign sales of Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Pictures’ 10-pic slate from German shingle VCL. For each pic, Myriad will come aboard to finance 75% of the budget, while UA will pony up the remaining 25%. Under the new […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content