How true to life are the characters who populate “The Anniversary Party” — co-written and co-directed by Alan Cumming and Jennifer Jason Leigh and starring nearly a dozen of their friends? Cumming and Leigh have gone on record to say they wrote the dialogue with each actor in mind (including Gwyneth Paltrow, Parker Posey and Phoebe Cates and Kevin Kline as longtime married thesps), and the resulting voyeuristic appeal cannot be underestimated. Shot on digital video in 19 days, pic limns 24 hours in the lives of actors Joe and Sally Therrian (Cumming and Leigh), who invite friends, past lovers and current temptations to a party that celebrates their six tumultuous years of marriage — but they get more than they bargained for in the mix.
Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Entertainment One, Los Angeles, California
- Scripps Networks Interactive, New York, New York
- starpower llc, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California