If I could talk to the animals — Wait a minute, that was in 1967 and the animals were gumming a mouthful of peanut butter. This century’s version features Eddie Murphy as the eponymous doctor who can, again, talk to his four-legged friends. The wise-cracking critters who populate the movie are flawlessly vocalized by comedians including Norm Macdonald, Lisa Kudrow, Steve Zahn, John Leguizamo, Andy Dick and Molly Shannon. With the animals in his office preparing to go on strike to save a forest from unscrupulous developers, Dr. D sets out to find one endangered species the law protects. He locates it in the form of Ava, a Pacific Western bear, who only needs a mate to keep her kind alive. But the only potential partner for Ava is Archie, a city-dwelling, fast food-loving, circus-performing bear, to whom Dolittle must teach the ways of the wild.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania