Animation without a musical number? That’s only one of this movie’s departures from the Disney formula. With a conceptual nod to Jules Verne, dark and dramatic animation and nary a scantily clad princess in sight, “Atlantis” has more in common with “The Iron Giant” than with “The Little Mermaid.” In this action-adventure saga, museum cartographer Milo Thatch (voice of Michael J. Fox) joins up with a group of daredevil explorers led by Captain Rourke (James Garner) to complete a quest begun by his late grandfather. He gets more than he bargained for, however, when their submarine is captured by a giant robotic squid and transported to the lost city of Atlantis. Directors Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale brought us “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Hunchback of Notre Dame,” while producer Don Hahn was responsible for “The Lion King.”
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania