After Kubrick’s death in 1999, pre-production on “A.I.” apparently creaked to a halt. But Spielberg, who became friends with Kubrick 20 years ago when “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and “The Shining” shared a set, took on the project as director and the rest, as they say, is history. Based on a short story by Brian Aldiss, “A.I.” takes place in a not-so-distant future — an age of intelligent machines. Haley Joel Osment plays a robot boy — the first programmed with the capacity to love — who takes his place as a member of a human family, only to find his newfound abilities may have made him unacceptable to both humans and machines.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania