After Kubrick’s death in 1999, pre-production on “A.I.” apparently creaked to a halt. But Spielberg, who became friends with Kubrick 20 years ago when “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and “The Shining” shared a set, took on the project as director and the rest, as they say, is history. Based on a short story by Brian Aldiss, “A.I.” takes place in a not-so-distant future — an age of intelligent machines. Haley Joel Osment plays a robot boy — the first programmed with the capacity to love — who takes his place as a member of a human family, only to find his newfound abilities may have made him unacceptable to both humans and machines.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut