After Kubrick’s death in 1999, pre-production on “A.I.” apparently creaked to a halt. But Spielberg, who became friends with Kubrick 20 years ago when “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and “The Shining” shared a set, took on the project as director and the rest, as they say, is history. Based on a short story by Brian Aldiss, “A.I.” takes place in a not-so-distant future — an age of intelligent machines. Haley Joel Osment plays a robot boy — the first programmed with the capacity to love — who takes his place as a member of a human family, only to find his newfound abilities may have made him unacceptable to both humans and machines.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Entertainment One, Los Angeles, California
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- The Los Angeles Film School, Los Angeles CA
- Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc., New York, New York
- MPCA, Los Angeles, California