Contrary to published reports, Jerry Bruckheimer, who has a first-look deal at Disney, will make “Black Hawk Down” at Joe Roth’s Revolution Studios, not the Walt Disney Co.
Ridley Scott (“Gladiator”) is in negotiations to direct.
Sources say Disney was not particularly pleased with the project’s subject matter, derived from Mark Bowden’s 1999 nonfiction book “Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War,” adapted by Bowden and rewritten by Ken Nolan. Book graphically details scenes from the brutal 1993 struggle between U.S. troops and Somali soldiers.
Project, which Bruckheimer Films brought into Disney, gained momentum last week when word surfaced of Scott’s attachment (Daily Variety, Sept. 8). Disney put it in turnaround on Friday.
Revolution began negotiating with Scott late Tuesday. Sources said “Black Hawk” is potentially the next film Scott will make following the Anthony Hopkins starrer “Hannibal,” now in post-production.
Reps for Revolution said the pic will begin lensing in February and release is planned for Thanksgiving weekend 2001.
Bruckheimer will produce. Mike Stenson, Simon West and Chad Oman will serve as exec producers.
Bruckheimer and Scott are repped by CAA.