Prexy to remain until Sept., will create his own company
After months of rumors in the French film community, Pierre-Ange Le Pogam has officially announced his departure from Gallic major Gaumont.Le Pogam, who will retain his post as president of worldwide marketing and distribution until Sept. 15, made the announcement during Gaumont’s annual retreat last week. Of the amicable parting, Le Pogam told Daily Variety, “I am very attached to Gaumont and have the utmost respect for the company. I am committed to following through on all of our projects until my departure in September.” Indeed, Le Pogam will again lead his team at Cannes. That will include a walk up the red-carpeted steps on opening night when Gaumont’s “Vatel” raises the fest curtain. Gaumont’s No. 3 has been with the company since 1981, first as programming head for the group’s theater circuit and then as general manager of the Gaumont/BVI distribution joint venture before he was upped to his current post in 1997. Itching to make a move for some time, Le Pogam told Daily Variety, “I have dreamed of creating my own company and being able to produce my own projects.” Come September Le Pogam will put up a shingle whose primary focus will be feature film production, starting “very quickly on French and international films.” No replacement has been named, but observers note that the new hire will likely come from outside the company — and may already have been approached.