In conjunction with the unveiling of a redesigned and greatly expanded Variety.com, Jonathan Taylor has been named general manager and executive editor for Variety Online. In this new position, Taylor will oversee the editorial and strategic management of Variety‘s online efforts.
Advertising sales for Variety.com will be overseen by Variety Publisher Charles Koones.
Taylor, an eight-year veteran at Variety who has served as managing editor and executive editor, replaces Chris D’Angelo, who resigned as general manager to pursue new entrepreneurial projects.
“In building a vastly enhanced Variety.com, Jonathan Taylor brings a depth of journalistic experience and imagination,” said Peter Bart, vice president and editor in chief of Variety.
The new-look Variety.com boasts such features as:
- A unique box office database that will allow Variety.extra subscribers to see more than five years of weekly box office charts, each tracking more than 120 titles per report, and sortable by a dozen different criteria;
- An expanded Reviews & Credits database that includes more than 11,000 original Variety film reviews, some dating back as far as 1914.
- Dynamic menus that provide an instant view of each day’s articles, reviews, columns and more.
- Access to Variety subsidiary 411 Publishing’s database of below-the-line technicians and resources;
- An expanded Showbiz Calendar, a searchable resource of events important to the entertainment and media communities.
Coming soon is an interactive graphing feature that will enable users to chart the weekend-by-weekend performance of up to four films at a time. Additional enhancements and features will be rolled out over the coming months.
“Variety has unmatched experience covering the entertainment businesses, along with almost a century of authoritative data, all of which will be the backbone of our efforts as we build and expand our Web efforts,” Taylor says.