Several already feted with Emmys, Globes
Helmers working for HBO took three of five nominations from the Directors Guild of America in its movies-for-television category, announced Monday. NBC pulled in the other two.All five of the directors — Allan Arkush, Steve Barron, Rob Cohen, Michael Cristofer and Jon Turteltaub — are first-time DGA nominees. They were listed alongside their unit production managers and first and second assistant directors. The TV movies they helmed were, respectively, “The Temptations,” “Merlin,” “The Rat Pack,” “Gia” and an installment of “From the Earth to the Moon.” “From intimate portraits of talented individuals to fantasy on an epic scale, this outstanding group of DGA Award nominees represents the state-of-the-art in making movies for television,” DGA President Jack Shea said. The full list of 1998 nominees follows:
- Allan Arkush, “The Temptations” (NBC); Helen Robin, unit production manager; Carol Green, Deborah Dell’Amico, 1st a.d.; Karen Collins, 2nd a.d..
- Steve Barron, “Merlin” (NBC); Gareth Tandy, 1st a.d.; Rebecca Tucker, 2nd a.d.
- Rob Cohen, “The Rat Pack” (HBO); Robert Rothbard, UPM; John Wildermuth, 1st a.d.; Angela Tortu, 2nd a.d.
- Michael Cristofer, “Gia” (HBO); James D. Brubaker, UPM; Mary Ellen Woods, 1st a.d.; David Larson, 2nd a.d.
- Jon Turteltaub, “Is That All There Is?” Part 7 of “From the Earth to the Moon” (HBO); John Melfi, UPM; Thomas Irvine, 1st a.d.; Pamela Kuri, 2nd a.d.