Lawrence James Cavanaugh, a longtime special effects coordinator, died Nov. 22 in Colorado from complications caused by pneumonia. He was 60.Cavanaugh, who enjoyed a 35-year career, was mentored by effects wizard Joe Lombardi and subsequently worked on numerous films including “Catch 22,” “Apocalypse Now,” “Far and Away,” “Godfather III,” “Dick Tracy,” “Jade,” “Face Off,” “Six Days and Seven Nights” and most recently “Mission: Impossible II.” He supervised 29 feature films and worked with such helmers as Francis Ford Coppola, Ron Howard, Norman Jewison, William Friedkin, Warren Beatty and John Woo. He is survived by his wife of 20 years, Jan; two sons; a brother; and a granddaughter.
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut