Gilbert Millstein, former news editor of “NBC Nightly News” who brought attention to Jack Kerouac with a favorable review of the Beat Generation writer’s novel “On the Road,” died May 7 in New York of kidney failure. He was 83.Millstein’s 1957 New York Times review of “On the Road” described the novel as a beautifully executed work of art and helped propel Kerouac into the public consciousness. Millstein, who wrote book reviews and articles for the Times from 1949 to 1963, also wrote for The Saturday Evening Post. He was the news editor of the “NBC Nightly News” for a decade beginning in the mid-1970s.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut