Brittany Murphy will join Emily Watson and Nick Nolte in writer/director Alan Rudolph’s “Trixie” for Sony Classics Entertainment and producer Robert Altman.Murphy will play a Vegas casino femme fetale. Watson plays an aspiring private detective who becomes embroiled in a blackmail and murder case involving a senator. Murphy recently completed October Films’ “Cherry Falls” for director Geoffrey Wright and can next be seen in New Line’s “Drop Dead Gorgeous” and the upcoming “Girl Interrupted” with Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie. Murphy is repped by ICM and JoAnne Colonna at Artists Management Group.
* * *Lacey Kohl has been added to the cast of Ron Howard’s “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” starring Jim Carrey. Kohl has appeared on NBC’s “Law and Order” and will next be seen in the upcoming “Trick” from Fine Line. But the young thesp is perhaps best known for her work on Broadway, including Nicholas Hytner’s “Carousel,” “Tommy” and “Grease.” She was repped on her deal by Todd Eisner and Jeff Berger at Writers and Artists.
* * *Palm Pictures and No Limit Films have announced additional castings for “Lock Down,” starring hip-hop artist Master P and directed by John Luessenhop. Richard T. Jones (“The Wood”), Bill Nunn (“He Got Game”), Rocky Carroll (“Crimson Tide”), De’Aundre Bonds (“The Wood”), Clifton Powell (“Rush Hour”), Melissa De Sousa (“The Best Man”) and Joe Torry (“Fled”) have all signed on to scribe Preston A. Whitmore II’s gritty depiction of prison life, which focuses on the experiences of three friends wrongly imprisoned. Master P, who exec produced this year’s “Foolish” and 1998′s “I Got the Hook Up,” will again hold exec producer duties on “Lock Down,” through his No Limit Films banner. No Limit’s Jeff Clanagan and Palm’s Hooman Majd and Mark Burg serve as producers along with Evolution Entertainment’s Oren Koules. Stephen Lockett is co-producer. Pic’s soundtrack also will feature artists from the No Limit roster. Palm will release the pic next winter.
* * *Loretta Devine has joined the cast of TNT’s “Freedom Song” to be directed by Phil Alden Robinson (“Field of Dreams”). Devine rounds out a cast that includes Danny Glover, Vondie Curtis Hall and Glynn Turman. Story is set in 1959 and focuses on a couple (Glover and Devine) under government scrutiny for their activist stance against the Jim Crow laws enforced in their Mississippi town. Their primary concern, however, is their young son, who also is becoming an activist. Devine has previously appeared in “Waiting to Exhale” and “Down in the Delta.” She is repped by Sarah Clossey and Don Spradlin at Writers and Artists and manager Evan Hainey at Edmonds Management.
* * *Peter Falk, Kathy Griffin, Daphne Zuniga, Paul Sampson and Shera Danese have joined the cast of “Enemies of Laughter,” the comedy from Richard Salvatore and David Ornston’s Two Sticks Prods. “Enemies,” by tyro scribe Glen Merzer, is about a comedy writer who is not funny. Joey Travolta produces along with Salvatore and Ornston. Falk and Danese’s deals were brokered by Weinstein, Skinner LTD. Griffin is repped by ICM and Zuniga’s deal was negotiated by Seven Summits.
* * *Regina Hall is in final negotiations to star in Dimension’s horror spoof “Scream If You Know What I Did Last Halloween,” directed by Keenan Ivory Wayans. Hall is currently finishing up production on New Line’s “Love and Basketball” opposite Omar Epps. She is repped by Mark Holder of Meridian Artists Agency.