Talkshow host Howard Stern accepted $50,000 Monday to settle a lawsuit he brought against a Hollywood production company that hired him to star in a movie that was never made, a lawyer said.
Details of the out-of-court settlement were disclosed in a written statement by attorney Philip Levy, who represented the production company, Ministry of Film Inc. He also said Stern had sued the company for $1.5 million.
Stern, known for risque material presented on his New York-based syndicated radio show, sued the company, claiming he had been hired to co-star in a movie opposite Melanie Griffith.
His lawsuit, filed in October 1997, said Ministry of Film had failed to come up with enough money to make the film, which was to be titled “Jane.” The amount he was seeking was not specified in the lawsuit.
Jury selection in the case was about to start in Los Angeles Superior Court when the settlement was announced.