Saban Intl. has tapped Maria Eugenia Torregrosa director, international sales. She will be responsible for overseeing the company’s sales efforts in all Latin American countries, as well as in other selected territories.Prior to joining Saban, Torregrosa served four years as senior sales exec of the international department at Argentine TV channel Telefe, where she developed new business regions globally and introduced new products.
* * *Petra Fioravanti has been tapped for the newly created post of vice president, communications, Discovery Networks Intl. She will oversee all communications and public relations activities for DNI, including corporate positioning, program publicity and internal communications. In addition she will be in partnership with DNI’s regional communications staff where she will work across the company to organize, acquire and consummate strategic media, public relations and partnership opportunities. Most recently she served as director of corporate communications for DNI.
* * *Kathryn Morrow has been tapped vice president, copyright and licensing at Chrysalis Music Group. She will be responsible for the commercial, Internet, film and TV divisions. Most recently she worked at Paramount Publishing Co.
* * *DMX Music has promoted Frank Pet to senior VP of finance and operations. Pet will now be responsible for managing DMX’s financial, business affairs, operations, customer service and human resources departments. Pet was formerly VP of operations at DMX.
* * *Tom Baer has been tapped as the senior vice president, entertainment marketing at Ideaworld. Baer will be responsible for establishing the agency’s entertainment marketing practice as well as running Ideaworld, the agency’s entertainment proprietary concept and ideation service. In addition, Baer will create the agency’s first entertainment marketing group to support the needs of Draft’s worldwide promotional marketing, direct marketing and general advertising clients. Prior to joining Draft Worldwide, Baer was Frankel’s VP, entertainment marketing.
* * *Sony Pictures Consumer Products has promoted Mark Caplan to director of domestic licensing, Yvonne Soderberg to director of marketing and brand management, Dori Grizzard to director of retail sales and promotions and Francoise Ravel to manager of contract administration. In the new positions, Caplan will be responsible for worldwide sales in the categories of toys and interactive for all of SPCP’s film and TV properties. Soderberg will be responsible for positioning, developing and executing domestic and international marketing, sales and retail strategies. Grizzard will oversee the management of all retail accounts. Ravel will draft and negotiate all terms and conditions of license, advertising, promotions, multimedia, master toy and publishing agreements. Prior to Sony, Caplan was an account manager with 20th Century Fox licensing and merchandising. Prior to Soderberg’s promotion, she handled marketing and operations for the Neutrogena Corp. Most recently, Grizzard served as senior accountant director for point-of-sale retail display design and merchandising at White Plus Design/Creative Solutions Group. Ravel comes to Sony from Mattel, where she was assistant product manager for Mattel Consumer Products.
* * *Alliance Atlantis Television Distribution has appointed Sharon Capotosto director of merchandising and licensing. Capotosto, who comes to Alliance Atlantis by way of Warner Bros. Consumer Products Canada and Venture Licensing of Canada, is responsible for overseeing the licensing of Alliance Atlantis’ film and TV properties and acts as a third-party Canadian agent for a part of the film distribution business. She’s also managing product placement in its TV productions, and developing and directing the company’s international network of licensing partners.
* * *Laura Black has been upped to VP of corporate responsibility and strategic philanthropy at Carsey-Werner. In the newly created post, Black will oversee the development and implementation of activities fostering the company’s social involvement. Most recently, Black was Carsey-Werner’s director of administrative affairs. She first teamed with the company as an assistant in 1985. In other moves, Diann Shaw has been upped to veep of publicity and public relations at Carsey-Werner. She was recognized for her success hyping such shows as “3rd Rock From the Sun,” “Cosby,” “That ’70s Show” and “God, the Devil and Bob.”
* * *Intl. Film Guarantors has appointed two to its executive ranks. Jake Jacobson has been tapped production exec for film and TV and Michael Harker has been named director, post-production. Jacobson brings numerous production credits to the firm and is a recipient of the DGA Award and an Emmy nomination. Harker will now oversee all aspects of film and TV post-production for the company. He has previously supervised more than 60 feature films and TV productions.
* * *Beth Stefani has been tapped vice president of marketing at Alliance Entertainment Corp. In this newly created position she will be responsible for the development and implementation of Alliance’s marketing and public relations strategy. Stefani joined Alliance’s All Media Guide in 1999 to direct the marketing operations of their e-commerce-enabling entertainment marketing databases and Web sites.
* * *Sinclair Television has tapped Edward Johnson director of programming and promotion of Sinclair Broadcasting Group. His new responsibilities include program acquisitions, program planning and analysis and promotion implementation. Since 1998, Johnson worked as associate programming director.
* * *Moving Pictures has tapped John Peter Didato head of production. Didato will assist producer Chris Sloben with Moving Pictures’ production business in its New York City facility. Previously, Didato worked for eight years on various film productions, and was associate producer at BJM Enterprises.
* * *Josh Lemieux has been named by Discovery Health Media managing editor of Discoveryhealth.com. The new Web site will work together with the 24-hour television service Discovery Health Channel to keep viewers informed about health and medical news. Formerly managing editor at Mayo Clinic Health Oasis for three years, Lemieux has been a member of the Associated Press for seven years.
* * *Scott Mednick has joined the board of directors of Internet music network Tunes.com. Mednick is currently chairman and chief strategic officer of Xceed, an integrated marketing and communications company. He previously founded and was chairman and CEO of THINK New Ideas.