New regs available on Acad's Web site
Rules for next year’s Oscars are being distributed this week to the 5,460 voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences.
The rules, printed in 28-page booklet and available this year for the first time on the Academy’s Web site (www.oscars.org), include deadlines for submitting entries in the various categories of the 71st Academy Awards.
The deadlines are:
- In the documentary categories, entry forms must be submitted by Oct. 1. The deadline for receipt of the film print and proof of qualifying exhibition is Nov. 2.
- In the foreign language category, entry forms and supporting documents must by in by Nov. 2, with prints submitted by Nov. 16.
- Deadline for short film entry forms is Nov. 2, with film prints and qualifying exhibition proof due by Nov. 30.
- In music categories, submissions must be made no later than 60 days after the qualifying Los Angeles release opening, or Dec. 1, whichever comes first.
- In the remaining categories, the deadline for submission of official screen credit forms is 60 days after the qualifying Los Angeles opening, or Dec. 1, whichever comes first. This form must be filed for feature film consideration.
Rules are reviewed annually by members of branch and category committees. The Awards Rules Committee then reviews all proposed changes before presenting its recommendations to the Academy’s board of governors.
Academy Award nominations will be announced at 5:30 a.m. on Feb. 9, 1999, at the Academy’s headquarters in Beverly Hills. Oscars will be presented March 21 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. The event will be televised by ABC beginning at 5 p.m. (PT), with a half-hour arrivals segment preceding the presentation ceremony.