‘Mary’ plagiarism suit ‘baloney,’ Farrellys say

Fox yet to look at claims, spokeswoman sez

Peter and Bobby Farrelly, the directors and exec producers of the hit “There’s Something About Mary,” categorically rejected claims by indie writer-director Vince Offer that they had plagiarized a movie he made.

Offer sued the Farrellys, 20th Century Fox and several other people connected with “Mary” last week in federal court, saying they copied 14 “unique scenes” from his film “The Underground Comedy Movie.”

“We’ve never heard of him, we’ve never heard of his movie, and it’s all a bunch of baloney,” the Farrelly brothers said in a joint statement from Boston. “We wish the guy would just break into (David) Letterman’s house and leave us alone.”

A publicist for the Farrellys said they had been traveling in Europe and had been unaware of the lawsuit, which was filed Sept. 23 in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles. The suit alleges copyright infringement and plagiarism (Daily Variety, Sept. 29).

“The studio has not seen the complaint but will fully investigate the matter when we do,” said Florence Grace, a spokeswoman for Fox. “We fully expect the claims to be unfounded.”

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 0

Leave a Reply

No Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More Film News from Variety

Loading