Submission deadlines announced for all nominations
The Directors Guild of America on Monday announced deadlines for submissions for its next awards contest, which encompasses makers of feature films, documentaries and TV shows.
Awards will be presented during a March 6, 1999, dinner at the Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles and simultaneously in New York City at a site to be determined.
It will be the 51st awards show for the DGA, which represents more than 11,000 film and TV directors and their directorial teams.
Key dates for nominations for feature film awards are:
- Jan. 4: Feature nomination ballots mailed;
- Jan. 22: Deadline for feature nomination ballots;
- Jan 25: Five feature nominees announced;
- Jan 29: Feature final ballots mailed;
- Feb. 8-12: Membership screenings of nominated films;
- Feb. 19: Final feature ballots due.
Key dates for nomination of documentary and TV awards:
- Nov. 2: TV and documentary director forms mailed;
- Jan. 4: Deadline for TV and documentary entry forms and cassettes;
- Jan. 7: TV nomination ballots mailed;
- Jan. 28: TV nomination ballots due;
- Feb. 1: TV nominees announced.
Judging in the features category is undertaken by the general membership, by mail. In TV and documentaries, only the nominations process is open to the membership; final judging is by “an anonymous panel of distinguished directors,” according to DGA spokesman Chuck Warn.
Names of the five nominees in the features division will be announced on Jan. 25. Their films will be shown to members in special screenings on Feb. 8-12.
TV and docu nominees will be announced on Feb. 1.
Reservation forms for the awards dinners will be mailed to DGA members on Jan. 12, and must be returned to the guild by Feb. 19.