Kerman gets a Shrine snub from judge
Scott Kerman won’t be going to the party, at least not if Oscar has his way.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences on Wednesday obtained a preliminary injunction barring perennial gate-crasher Kerman from busting into the Oscar ceremonies at the Shrine Auditorium on March 23.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Aurelio Munoz granted the Academy’s request to order Kerman — a comic who wrote a book called “No Ticket? No Problem!” — to stay away from the event. Kerman was arrested before last year’s Oscar show after getting into the building wearing press credentials that entitled him only to cover activities outside; he was held overnight on a trespassing charge. Kerman later sued the Academy for false arrest and harassment.
In his book, Kerman claims that he got into the 1996 Oscars, as well as into more than 300 other events.
“We don’t want wild cards in there,” said Rick Robertson, the Academy’s exec administrator. “Given his history of trying this kind of thing, and actually writing a book about it, we particularly don’t want him in there and then trumpeting the fact.”
Academy officials decided to seek the injunction after Kerman hedged when asked during a deposition in his lawsuit against the Academy whether he planned to make another stab at attending the awards show. “I can’t tell you yes or no,” he replied.
The injunction prohibits Kerman from approaching the Shrine closer than 32nd Street to the north, Jefferson to the south, Hoover to the west and Figueroa to the east on March 23.
“If he crosses any of those streets and comes into the rectangle of the Shrine, he’s in violation of the court order,” Robertson said. “We will do everything possible to keep not only Mr. Kerman out but anyone else who doesn’t belong there.”