You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

EC OKs Canal+, telco control of AOL France

Companies to grab 55% of online giant's French outfit

PARIS — The European Commission has given the go-ahead for pay TV group Canal Plus and French telephone company Cegetel to take a majority stake in America Online France.

The decision means that Cegetel and Canal Plus, which both have Vivendi (formerly Compagnie Generale des Eaux) as their main shareholder, will take 55% of AOL France and CompuServe France. America Online and Germany’s Bertelsmann group will control the remaining 45%.

The deal was originally signed in January, subject to approval from Brussels. It marks the first tangible example of Vivendi chairman Jean-Marie Messier’s vision of marrying television programming and subscription service expertise (via Canal Plus), with telephony (Cegetel) and the internet.

The marriage also means that AOL France becomes the market leader in Gaul with some 285,000 subscribers, compared to 280,000 for France Telecom’s Wanadoo service.

On a strategic front, Messier watchers see the alliance as a chance for Vivendi to work closer with Bertelsmann. Vivendi, via Havas, has a minority stake in CLT-Ufa, in which Bertelsmann has a major share.

More Digital

  • Liza Koshy

    Liza Koshy to Star in YouTube Red Comedy Series 'Liza on Demand' Premiering in 2018

    PARIS — The European Commission has given the go-ahead for pay TV group Canal Plus and French telephone company Cegetel to take a majority stake in America Online France. The decision means that Cegetel and Canal Plus, which both have Vivendi (formerly Compagnie Generale des Eaux) as their main shareholder, will take 55% of AOL […]

  • Dwyane Wade

    NBA Star Dwyane Wade Has His Own Facebook Reality Show

    PARIS — The European Commission has given the go-ahead for pay TV group Canal Plus and French telephone company Cegetel to take a majority stake in America Online France. The decision means that Cegetel and Canal Plus, which both have Vivendi (formerly Compagnie Generale des Eaux) as their main shareholder, will take 55% of AOL […]

  • Still from Google Spotlight Stories' short

    Google Spotlight Stories Releases VR Short 'Sonaria' With Steam, Viveport, Mobile App

    PARIS — The European Commission has given the go-ahead for pay TV group Canal Plus and French telephone company Cegetel to take a majority stake in America Online France. The decision means that Cegetel and Canal Plus, which both have Vivendi (formerly Compagnie Generale des Eaux) as their main shareholder, will take 55% of AOL […]

  • Dana Walden American Idol

    Fox's Dana Walden Joins Hulu Board of Directors

    PARIS — The European Commission has given the go-ahead for pay TV group Canal Plus and French telephone company Cegetel to take a majority stake in America Online France. The decision means that Cegetel and Canal Plus, which both have Vivendi (formerly Compagnie Generale des Eaux) as their main shareholder, will take 55% of AOL […]

  • homepod-white-shelf

    Apple Delays HomePod Speaker Until Early 2018

    PARIS — The European Commission has given the go-ahead for pay TV group Canal Plus and French telephone company Cegetel to take a majority stake in America Online France. The decision means that Cegetel and Canal Plus, which both have Vivendi (formerly Compagnie Generale des Eaux) as their main shareholder, will take 55% of AOL […]

  • Jason Mojica Vice

    Vice Suspends Film Producer Jason Mojica Amid Sexual Harassment Investigation

    PARIS — The European Commission has given the go-ahead for pay TV group Canal Plus and French telephone company Cegetel to take a majority stake in America Online France. The decision means that Cegetel and Canal Plus, which both have Vivendi (formerly Compagnie Generale des Eaux) as their main shareholder, will take 55% of AOL […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content