New York-based indie MG/Perin has signed on as the distributor of a new syndie TV series based on the longrunning syndicated newspaper column “News of the Weird.”The weekly half-hour show will be produced by Nashville-based High Five Entertainment, which acquired TV rights to “Weird” from Universal Press Syndicate late last year. The collection of stranger-than-fiction, believe-it-or-not news items, compiled by Chuck Shepherd, is carried in more than 350 newspapers nationwide. The TV edition is slated for a fall 1998 premiere. Rhonda Shear, host of USA Network’s “Up All Night” weekend movie block, is on board as host. The “News of the Weird” distribution pact was unveiled Monday by Stephen Elsky, executive VP and CPP of High Five Entertainment, and Richard Perin, president and CEO of MG/Perin.
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut