The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (ATAS) on Thursday won a preliminary injunction in Los Angeles Superior Court against a company and individuals attempting to profit from the sale of a confidential ATAS membership list allegedly stolen from the Academy’s computer database.Judge Diane Wayne ruled that a temporary restraining order granted May 8 against the sale and distribution of the member list will remain in effect until the time of trial or a settlement is reached. The judge also ruled Thursday that besides being barred from using the member list information in any way, the defendants — Premiere Mail Service Inc., its owner Thomas W. Cupp and former ATAS office worker Jonathan Downing — were also required to return any and all originals and copies of the list to the plaintiff.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania