After months of speculation, Barry Levinson and Paula Weinstein are officially joining hands in a new, yet unnamed, company.The first significant purchase for their development slate is the novel “God Is My Broker,” which New Line Cinema nabbed for the pair on Friday. Levinson and Weinstein will produce the comedy for New Line, though their production company deal is not with that distrib. Levinson and Weinstein are based at Warner Bros. and together they are expected to re-sign a new deal at the Burbank-based studio, although no deal is set. The two have known each other for years. and it has long been long speculated that they would join hands. “God Is My Broker,” written by Christopher Buckley and journalist John Tierney, is about a Wall Street broker who ends up losing all his clients’ money. Seeking redemption, he joins a monastery in upstate New York and finds spiritual enlightenment while helping the organization overcome its financial woes. Levinson is shooting “Sphere” for WB and was unavailable for comment. “God” was brought into New Line by production exec Claire Rudnick Polstein. Buckley’s last novel, “Thank You for Smoking” was optioned by Mel Gibson’s Icon Prods. two years ago. The deal for “God” was brokered by ICM’s Amanda Urban, Kristine Dahl and Rosalie Swedlin, who also reps Levinson.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ ‘Live By Night,’ ‘Allied’ Among Costume Design Oscar Contenders
- ‘Ultra Widescreen’ Version of Terrence Malick’s ‘Voyage of Time’ Set for Release (EXCLUSIVE)
- For Television, Golden Globes Voters Value ‘Kingmaker’ Role
- ‘Silence’: Will Academy Voters Embrace Martin Scorsese’s Passion Project?
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut