Tom Rothman’s 20th Century Fox film division has picked up Julie Talen’s comedy spec “Boys ‘R Us” for Chris Columbus’ 1492 Pictures to produce.The studio coughed up $500,000 against $850,000 for the script just a day after 1492 prexy Michael Barnathan brought it to Fox exec VP Jorge Saralegui. New Line Cinema also was in the running for the project. “Boys,” described as “The First Wives Club” meets “Risky Business,” tells the hijinx of a group of women who start a bordello out of one of their homes. 1492 veepee Jennifer Blum is credited with discovering the script and bringing it into the company. Talen previously sold the spec “A Simple Lesbian Wedding” (now titled “A Simple Wedding”) to Columbia Pictures and producer Doug Wick. Talen was repped on the deal by the Hohman Maybank Lieb Agency and attorney Linda Lichter of Lichter, Grossman & Nichols.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- John Madden on Releasing Jessica Chastain Political Thriller ‘Miss Sloane’ in Trump era U.S.
- Playback: Dev Patel on ‘Lion’ and Diversity’s Double-Edged Sword
- ‘Moonlight,’ ‘Silence,’ ‘Stranger Things’ Among AFI Awards Official Selections
- Last Year’s Oscar Winners, This Year’s Contenders Land Grammy Nominations
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut