Rodeo Drive’s Dyansen Gallery was the site of a family reunion Sept. 24 as Variety’s third annual American Music Legend Award was presented to seven members of the Newman clan of film composers.On hand to accept for the late Alfred, Lionel and Emil Newman were Alfred’s widow, Martha Newman Ragland; Lionel’s widow, Beverly; and Emil’s son, Bill. Picking up awards for the younger musical generation were classical composer Maria Newman; Thomas Newman’s wife, Ann Marie; and recording artist-film composer Randy Newman (“Toy Story,” “James and the Giant Peach,” “Awakenings,” “Ragtime”). Martha Newman also took home son David’s d’Arques crystal award. Music was provided for the crowd of Newmans and their showbiz associates by the Recording Musicians Assn.’s Christopher Caliendo tango quartet.
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut