Arguing in part that local lensing of action pics could significantly be affected, a group of firearms dealers has filed a lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles, seeking to overturn an ordinance that would ban the sale of rapid-fire clips within city limits.
The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court on Friday, asks for a restraining order and injunction against the law passed by City Council members on Oct. 8. The Council voted 11-2 in favor.
The ordinance, which is skedded to take effect on Sunday, bans the “sale or transfer” of any magazine or other device that will allow a firearm to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition. Under the new law, special effects managers will now have to buy, rent or borrow rapid-fire arms outside Los Angeles.
‘Made a mistake’
“The anti-self-defense politicians who drafted this ordinance are so ignorant of firearm technology, and of the firearms business, that they made a mistake that will cost the city millions of dollars,” said Chuck Michel, an attorney representing the plaintiffs, which include sporting goods store B&B Sales and EFX Film & TV.
Councilmember Mike Feurer, who spearheaded the passage of the law, does not expect a measurable impact on lensing. “I believe that the ordinance is definitely going to be upheld,” Feurer told Daily Variety. “Having talked to people in the motion picture and entertainment industry, I am convinced that there is no good reason for this lawsuit to be successful.”
Industry execs and location managers queried are unsure if the industry will be seriously affected.
“We had been unaware of any industry concerns regarding the ordinance,” said Cody Cluff, prez of the Entertainment Industry Development Corp., Los Angeles’ film liaison and permit office. “We plan to take a careful look and determine if there is a substantive impact on the industry and take appropriate measures.”