Court halts report on Pro7

BERLIN — A Hamburg court has ordered CLT-UFA to stop distributing an analysis of Munich-based ProSieben Media AG.

The court also threatened Thursday to slap the Bertelsmann subsidiary with a DM500,000 ($294,000) fine if it continues to circulate its analysis of ProSieben’s business prospects to the press.

ProSieben Media AG, which operates Germany’s third-ranked commercial web Pro7 and weblet Kabel1, will be listed on the Frankfurt stock exchange starting in July. ProSieben will sell 17.5 million preferred shares to the public, but exclusive voting rights remain with shareholders Thomas Kirch, son of media mogul Leo Kirch, and retailer REWE AG. The younger Kirch will control 60% of the common stock, while REWE will own the remaining 40%.

There has been recent speculation in the German press that Leo Kirch, Pro7’s main programming supplier, may raise the prices on the movies and series sold to Pro7 after the floatation, cutting the returns of the voiceless preferred shareholders.

ProSieben claims that competitor CLT-UFA, which owns shares in German webs RTL, RTL2, SuperRTL and Vox, is behind the rumors. ProSieben charges that CLT-UFA has been circulating a report asserting that Thomas Kirch will accept price hikes of 25% for film rights acquired by Pro7 from the Kirch Group, which would lead to operative losses of $59 million. An analysis challenging ProSieben’s optimistic estimates of its financial picture was also sent to Daily Variety by a CLT-UFA spokesman.

“It is shameful that one of Germany’s largest media companies is not above spreading reputation-damaging misinformation in hopes of obstructing ProSieben’s floatation,” says ProSieben chairman Georg Kofler.

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 0

Leave a Reply

No Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More Biz News from Variety

Loading