Singapore’s venerable Shaw Organization will receive the exhibitor of the year award at the CineAsia movie convention, which runs Jan. 28-30 at the Singapore Intl. Convention and Exhibition Center.“The Shaw Organization has been one of the leaders of the remarkable growth that has taken place in the Asia-Pacific region,” said tradeshow co-managing director Jimmy Sunshine. “As a leader in both exhibition and distribution, they have also been aggressive in purchasing real estate around their cinemas allowing customers a full night out – shopping, dinner and a movie.” The company was founded in 1924 by Sir Run Run Shaw and his brother, the late Runme Shaw. Together they built a chain of more than 200 cinemas in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong, as well as a huge film studio in the colony. The new generation of Shaws who took the management reins in the late 1970s, Vee Meng Shaw, Harold Shaw and Vee King Shaw, introduced multiplexing in Singapore in the 1980s. Their flagship is Shaw House, a 22-story complex housing an eightplex, shops, restaurants and offices. Currently, Shaw is developing a number of cinema sites by itself and in a joint venture with local exhib Eng Wah Organization. Previous recipients of exhib of the year are Village Roadshow’s Roc Kirby and Benny Suherman of Indonesia’s Subentra Group. More than 750 attendees are expected at the tradeshow, seminars and screenings of new films from the U.S. majors.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ ‘Live By Night,’ ‘Allied’ Among Costume Design Oscar Contenders
- ‘Ultra Widescreen’ Version of Terrence Malick’s ‘Voyage of Time’ Set for Release (EXCLUSIVE)
- For Television, Golden Globes Voters Value ‘Kingmaker’ Role
- ‘Silence’: Will Academy Voters Embrace Martin Scorsese’s Passion Project?
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut