“Independence Day” became the third blockbuster in history to gross more than $400 million overseas Saturday, propelled by a record-breaking debut in Japan. The alien invasion pic hauled in $4.6 million in the first two days on 31 screens in the nine key cities, beating the previous champ “Jurassic Park’s” $3.9 million, Fox reported Sunday.Nationwide figures weren’t available, but the studio was forecasting a two-day bounty of more than $9 million. The key cities’ receipts alone pushed the foreign total to $404.6 million, joining “Jurassic Park” ($556 million) and “The Lion King” ($455 million) in the elite club.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Entertainment One, Los Angeles, California
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- The Los Angeles Film School, Los Angeles CA
- Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc., New York, New York
- MPCA, Los Angeles, California