What’s a poor distrib to do? Like other studios, Paramount wants to capitalize on key holiday playing times, so it’s releasing the Johnny Depp starrer “Nick of Time” the day before Thanksgiving The problem is, this means the film, about a political assassination, opens Nov.22 – the 32nd anniversary of the shooting of President Kennedy. A studio spokesman said the decision was simply “to take advantage of one of the best playing times for a movie. The convention is to open a film on Wednesday or Friday, but with Thanksgiving, you don’t want a Friday opening. So we looked at the schedule and said, ‘Yeah, that’s the day.'” Asked if there were any weeping or sleepless nights because of the decision, the studio rep just laughed.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Entertainment One, Los Angeles, California
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- The Los Angeles Film School, Los Angeles CA
- Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc., New York, New York
- MPCA, Los Angeles, California