What’s a poor distrib to do? Like other studios, Paramount wants to capitalize on key holiday playing times, so it’s releasing the Johnny Depp starrer “Nick of Time” the day before Thanksgiving The problem is, this means the film, about a political assassination, opens Nov.22 – the 32nd anniversary of the shooting of President Kennedy. A studio spokesman said the decision was simply “to take advantage of one of the best playing times for a movie. The convention is to open a film on Wednesday or Friday, but with Thanksgiving, you don’t want a Friday opening. So we looked at the schedule and said, ‘Yeah, that’s the day.'” Asked if there were any weeping or sleepless nights because of the decision, the studio rep just laughed.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut