Marlon Brando raved to my Daily Variety colleague Army Archerd over the Sean Penn-directed film “The Crossing Guard” after its star, Jack Nicholson, showed him the film. But he’s hardly the film’s only prominent admirer. Penn-pal Bruce Springsteen also saw a cut of the film, to be distributed by Miramax this fall. The Boss, who picked up four Grammys last week for his touching AIDS anthem from the Jonathan Demme film “Philadelphia,” has agreed to write and perform songs to be used for the film and its soundtrack, including its opening theme. Springsteen, who rarely lends his songs to films, did it because of his personal relationship with Penn, sources said.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania