Marlon Brando raved to my Daily Variety colleague Army Archerd over the Sean Penn-directed film “The Crossing Guard” after its star, Jack Nicholson, showed him the film. But he’s hardly the film’s only prominent admirer. Penn-pal Bruce Springsteen also saw a cut of the film, to be distributed by Miramax this fall. The Boss, who picked up four Grammys last week for his touching AIDS anthem from the Jonathan Demme film “Philadelphia,” has agreed to write and perform songs to be used for the film and its soundtrack, including its opening theme. Springsteen, who rarely lends his songs to films, did it because of his personal relationship with Penn, sources said.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut