The Carsey-Werner Co. issued its first public statement regarding the latest “Roseanne” flap, but it doesn’t figure to mollify the show’s disgruntled star.

“In our eyes, the deal is closed,” a Carsey-Werner spokesman said, adding that the company would have no further comment.

Carsey-Werner and ABC announced a three-year renewal on the series last week, but since then, star Roseanne Arnold and her husband, Tom Arnold, have maintained they aren’t signed for the full length of that deal and didn’t approve the pact.

Roseanne Arnold said Wednesday in an interview on “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno” that ABC and Carsey-Werner “somehow got together and signed something between them that the show was going to be on for the next three years, but they just kind of forgot to ask me.”

The star also referred to interest from CBS/Broadcast Group prez Howard Stringer, who, it bears noting, spearheaded the Eye web’s courtship of David Letterman.

In fact, sources say, one reason the Arnolds are upset is that Carsey-Werner inked the deal with ABC — which has a first-negotiation, first-refusal position — before opening up the process to the other networks.

CBS officials have apparently indicated they’d be willing to top ABC’s best offer, at a license fee that would almost certainly translate into a deficit on the show, making it a “loss leader.”

Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
Post A Comment 0