With Diane Sawyer’s contract negotiations garnering headlines and CBS’ evening-news team receiving ample exposure during the Winter Olympics, “ABC World News Tonight” anchor Peter Jennings has been quietly moving ahead on three projects designed to bring him into primetime living rooms.At a press confab Thursday, the Alphabet web will announce its plans for Jennings to anchor four installments of its new newsmag “Turning Point.” The first, focusing on D-Day, is slated to air June 1, with one on Tiananmen Square also in the works. “Turning Point” will operate with a rotating anchor, with Sawyer and Barbara Walters splitting most of the duty. Sawyer will anchor the March 9 premiere. Jennings will serve as “occasional anchor” for four planned installments, and may anchor other special editions keyed to significant news events. The “Peter Jennings Reporting” special airs March 17.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania