Joan Ganz Cooney, Walter Bernstein and George Malko are among the winners this year of awards from the Writers Guild of America, East.Cooney, co-founder of the Children’s Television Workshop, will receive the WGAE’s Evelyn F. Burkey Award for contributions to the television community that have brought honor to writers. Cooney chairs the exec committee of the CTW board and served as CTW prexy from 1968 to 1990. CTW originated such programs as “Sesame Street,””The Electric Company, “”Square One TV” and “Ghostwriter.” Bernstein, one of the writers who was blacklisted during the McCarthy era in the 1950s, will receive the Ian McLellan Hunter Award for lifetime achievement in writing. Among his feature credits are “Fail Safe,””Yanks,””The Money Trap, “”Semi-Tough,””The Front” and “The Molly Maguires.” During the blacklist era, he wrote under pseudonyms for some major television shows. Malko, who chairs the board of trustees for the Writers Guild Industry Health and Pension plans, will receive the Richard B. Jablow Award for service to the guild. He has been a Fund trustee for several years and previously served on the WGAE Council in addition to a number of guild committees. His credits include “Dogs of War,””Luna” and “Return to Earth,” in addition to two novels. The trio will receive their awards on March 13 at the Tavern on the Green in New York City during the East Coast ceremonies for the 46th annual Writers Guild Awards. The West Coast awards will be held the same day in Beverly Hills.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ ‘Live By Night,’ ‘Allied’ Among Costume Design Oscar Contenders
- ‘Ultra Widescreen’ Version of Terrence Malick’s ‘Voyage of Time’ Set for Release (EXCLUSIVE)
- For Television, Golden Globes Voters Value ‘Kingmaker’ Role
- ‘Silence’: Will Academy Voters Embrace Martin Scorsese’s Passion Project?
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut