Oscar contenders “Schindler’s List” and “In the Name of the Father” posted healthy openings in Europe last weekend.Steven Spielberg’s epic grossed $ 193,646 at six London theaters in the opening weekend for a sparkling $ 32,274 average. It goes wide in the U.K. March 4. In its second weekend in Australia, “Schindler” added five prints and jumped by 16% for a cume of $ 795,620, now on 23 screens. Jim Sheridan’s Irish drama took $ 183,337 on 36 screens in the first three days in Spain ($ 5,093 average) and $ 307,556 on 42 screens in Italy ($ 7,323 average). It broadens in both markets next weekend. Through the ninth weekend in Ireland and the second weekend in the U.K., the combined tally is $ 4.4 million.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut