A Texas court ruled Wednesday that K-Tel Intl. Inc. is the sole owner of vintage copyrights and master recordings of Dominion Records, best known as the record label of Chubby Checker. The court also ruled that a license agreement giving the defendants rights to the master recordings of the label’s artists was a forgery.The court supported the copyright infringement claims brought by K-Tel against defendants Marshall Sehorn, Red Dog Express Inc., White Dog Records Ltd. , Billy Carr Prods. Inc. and John Roger Branch, among others. U.S. District Judge William Justice declared K-Tel is sole owner of master recordings known as the Dominion/K-Tel Catalog. Recordings by Jan & Dean, Little Richard and Ben E. King, among others, were also involved in the K-Tel lawsuit.
Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment One, Los Angeles, California
- Scripps Networks Interactive, New York, New York
- starpower llc, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California