Murphy J. Bennett, 70, a longtime associate and road manager for Sammy Davis Jr., died of cancer on April 7 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. He had been ill for over a year.Bennett, born and raised in Chicago, served in the U.S. Army during World War II and in 1950 relocated to L.A. He worked for United Airlines and later at the legendary Garden of Allah where he met Sammy Davis Jr. Joining Davis in 1959 he worked for the entertainer in a variety of capacities until Davis’ death in 1990 when Bennett retired. Survived by five children, nine grandchildren and one great-grandson. Services were held April 14 in Los Angeles. Donations may be made to the Sammy Davis Jr. National Liver Institute C/O Dr. Carroll M. Leevy, 150 Bergen Street, Newark, N.J. 07103.
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut