Actor Morgan Freeman will be awarded the Shakespeare Theatre’s annual William Shakespeare Award for Classical Theatre.The award recognizes “a singular contribution that strengthens the tradition of classical theater in America.” Freeman was cited for his portrayal of Petruchio in “The Taming of the Shrew” for Joseph Papp’s New York Shakespeare Festival in Central Park. Past recipients of the award include Papp and actors Kevin Kline, Christopher Plummer, Kenneth Branagh and Mel Gibson. Freeman will receive the award at a black-tie gala at D.C.’s National BuildingMuseum.
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut