Robin Williams just about rules the Yule around the world. With Europe already ablaze from “Aladdin’s” lamp, the energetic genie conjured up magic in other parts of the world as well.There was no doubt about “Mrs. Doubtfire” Down Under. The Fox-y lady came in for Christmas with a $ 1.6 million record opening run in 118 kitchens, locking out both “Home Alone” and its sequel. But up in cooler climes, where hilarious housekeeping is yet to begin, “Aladdin” has lit up the Buena Vista Intl. coffers to the tune of better than$ 20 million in the 10 major Euro territories. In Hong Kong, “Demolition Man” kicked down 19 doors for a Colony-wide opening of $ 528,366, while the Thais gave Warner Bros. its best ever initial weekend with a $ 201,095 gross for the actioner in 28 arenas. Elsewhere, the Stallone-Snipes starrer has maintained the pace. As of Thursday, “Demolition Man” had logged $ 35,341,124 from 23 overseas markets. The U.K. accounted for $ 8.1 million and Germany brought in $ 7.8 million, with Mexico’s $ 4.6 million just about doubling Australia’s take to date. ‘World’ storms France “A Perfect World” opened well in France with $ 3.1 million from 380 sites, and gave WB its second-best Parisian opening — nearly catching “The Fugitive.” Overall in nine Euromarts, the Eastwood lenser is close to $ 7 million in its initial frame. Meanwhile, New Zealanders chipped in a healthy $ 36,458 from 26 prints for openers. Running on 184 Japanese screens, “World” was less than perfect in week two, reporting a 20% drop to $ 1.4 million with a $ 4.5 million cume. Over the weekend, in its first, UIP’s “Beethoven’s 2nd” scored about $ 600, 000 from 496 stops across Germany, France, Belgium and Holland. And half a world away in Oz, “Wayne’s World 2” spun a super $ 848,448 in seven days for starters on 93, giving the UIP sequel a nifty $ 9,123 screen average.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ ‘Live By Night,’ ‘Allied’ Among Costume Design Oscar Contenders
- ‘Ultra Widescreen’ Version of Terrence Malick’s ‘Voyage of Time’ Set for Release (EXCLUSIVE)
- For Television, Golden Globes Voters Value ‘Kingmaker’ Role
- ‘Silence’: Will Academy Voters Embrace Martin Scorsese’s Passion Project?
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut