Whoopi Goldberg, Martin Lawrence and Fox Broadcasting’s “In Living Color” each captured two awards at the first “Soul Train Comedy Awards,” which will air during an Aug. 16-22 firstrun syndication window. Program has been cleared on more than 110 stations covering 90% of the U.S.Awards went to Eddie Murphy for best actor in a movie (“Boomerang”) and to best movie actress Whoopi Goldberg (“Sister Act”), who also captured the prize for favorite female standup comic. Other winners included “In Living Color’s” Kim Wayans as best actress in a TV sketch comedy role, Sinbad for his “Brain Damaged” standup comedy spec, Jasmine Guy of “A Different World” as best actress in a sitcom and Lawrence for best sitcom actor and favorite male standup comic. As previously announced, Arsenio Hall received an award named in honor of Richard Pryor.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania