Another month, another box office record smashed. That’s the siren call of 1993.Domestic box office receipts for October topped $ 370 million, besting 1992’s previous record high by 15%. Buena Vista, with the three-pronged attack of “Cool Runnings,””The Joy Luck Club” and “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” emerged as the market share leader with its films earning $ 93.2 million. The studio’s films represented a smidgen better than a quarter of theatrical revenues generated for the month. However, the top individual performing title belonged to Warner Bros. and its muscular “Demolition Man.” The futuristic actioner has grossed more than $ 45 million since opening. It was largely responsible for the Burbank-based company’s second-place status and 19.7% market share. Following “Demolition,” the top films for the month were “Cool Runnings, “”Malice,””The Beverly Hillbillies,””The Good Son,””The Joy Luck Club,””The Age of Innocence,””The Nightmare Before Christmas,””A Bronx Tale” and the long-running “The Fugitive.” Newcomer Savoy, on the strength of its debutante title “Bronx Tale,” entered the charts initially and ranked seventh with a near 4% market slice. However, it was clearly not a good period for indies. New Line maintained the same 2.5% share it held one year earlier, but the traditional high-octane season for specialized fare saw indie strength being sapped by artsier titles coming from the studios. Indie companies cornered a little better than 10% of the marketplace in October, 3% better than their share for 1993 to date. The biggest drop of the month was Universal, which has been unable to follow up the monster success of “Jurassic Park” with a commercially potent title.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ ‘Live By Night,’ ‘Allied’ Among Costume Design Oscar Contenders
- ‘Ultra Widescreen’ Version of Terrence Malick’s ‘Voyage of Time’ Set for Release (EXCLUSIVE)
- For Television, Golden Globes Voters Value ‘Kingmaker’ Role
- ‘Silence’: Will Academy Voters Embrace Martin Scorsese’s Passion Project?
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut