The Berlin Intl. Film Festival has created a new prize for European films called the Blue Angel, named after the Marlene Dietrich film helmed by Josef von Sternberg, it was announced yesterday by the fest and the European Film & TV Academy in Brussels.The first statue–created by Belgian sculptor Serge Vandercam–will be awarded at the 43rd Berlinale to a film that has been produced or co-produced by one or several countries in either West, East or Central Europe, or to a person of European nationality involved in the film. The winner will also receive 50,000 marks ($ 32,000), donated by Kodak. In subsequent years, the Blue Angel will be awarded at other major Euro film festivals.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Entertainment One, Los Angeles, California
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- The Los Angeles Film School, Los Angeles CA
- Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc., New York, New York
- MPCA, Los Angeles, California