The Just For Laughs comedy empire — which includes the city’s annual comedy festival of the same name — unveiled its brand-new Intl. Museum of Humour Monday night, and, though the museum is set to open its doors on April Fool’s Day, it’s no laughing matter.The set-up cost is $ C21 million, with $ C13.5 million coming from federal, provincial and city grants, and that level of government funding has already been roundly criticized by opposition members of Parliament in the House ofCommons. The museum complex in downtown Montreal will include a 250-seat theater, the classrooms and studios of the National School of Humour and the offices of Le Groupe Rozon. There will also be a Humour Hall of Fame, to be inaugurated this summer by George Burns, who will be performing at the Just For Laughs festival Aug. 1.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania