You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Liberty is taken with HSN stock

CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Liberty Media Corp. has agreed to buy almost 16.3 million shares of Home Shopping Network stock under its expired tender offer, boosting its stake to 41.5%, Liberty said Friday.

The purchase extends Liberty’s influence over the shop-by-TV business. It also owns a 23% stake in Home Shopping’s biggest rival, QVC Networks.

Liberty had planned to buy 15 million shares of HSN stock but said it would buy up to 1.3 million additional shares if more were tendered.

Liberty’s $ 7 a share offer expired at midnight Thursday and the company said almost 23.3 million shares were tendered.

As a result, Liberty officials said they would purchase 70% of the stock tendered by each stockholder. The remaining 30% would be returned to the stockholders, a spokeswoman said.

Checks for payment will be mailed shortly after June 1, the company said in its news release.

Liberty already owns 20 million shares of HSN’s Class B common stock and 616, 300 shares of its common stock, for ownership of about 23% of HSN’s outstanding common equity.

The stock being purchased would raise Liberty’s ownership of HSN common equity to about 41.5% of its outstanding shares and would increase Liberty’s voting power to about 71%, the company said.

The purchase follows a decision by a Delaware judge to deny injunctions sought to block the sale by HSN stockholders who said Liberty was paying too little.

It’s a scaled-down version of an offer made earlier this year to buy all outstanding HSN shares through a $ 640 million cash stock offer, withdrawn because of HSN’s mounting legal problems.

More Biz

  • Roy Price

    Harvey Weinstein Fallout: Entertainment Figures Accused of Sexual Harassment

    CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Liberty Media Corp. has agreed to buy almost 16.3 million shares of Home Shopping Network stock under its expired tender offer, boosting its stake to 41.5%, Liberty said Friday. The purchase extends Liberty’s influence over the shop-by-TV business. It also owns a 23% stake in Home Shopping’s biggest rival, QVC Networks. Liberty […]

  • Harvey Weinstein

    Colony Capital Has Three-Week Window to Avert Weinstein Co. Bankruptcy (EXCLUSIVE)

    CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Liberty Media Corp. has agreed to buy almost 16.3 million shares of Home Shopping Network stock under its expired tender offer, boosting its stake to 41.5%, Liberty said Friday. The purchase extends Liberty’s influence over the shop-by-TV business. It also owns a 23% stake in Home Shopping’s biggest rival, QVC Networks. Liberty […]

  • Mark Baker Warner Music Group

    Warner Music Group Names Mark Baker VP of Public Policy & Government Affairs

    CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Liberty Media Corp. has agreed to buy almost 16.3 million shares of Home Shopping Network stock under its expired tender offer, boosting its stake to 41.5%, Liberty said Friday. The purchase extends Liberty’s influence over the shop-by-TV business. It also owns a 23% stake in Home Shopping’s biggest rival, QVC Networks. Liberty […]

  • Lupita Nyong'o Harvey Weinstein

    Lupita Nyong'o Details Harvey Weinstein's Advances Toward Her in Op-Ed: 'I Felt Unsafe'

    CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Liberty Media Corp. has agreed to buy almost 16.3 million shares of Home Shopping Network stock under its expired tender offer, boosting its stake to 41.5%, Liberty said Friday. The purchase extends Liberty’s influence over the shop-by-TV business. It also owns a 23% stake in Home Shopping’s biggest rival, QVC Networks. Liberty […]

  • David Blaine Rape

    David Blaine Accused of Rape by Former Model

    CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Liberty Media Corp. has agreed to buy almost 16.3 million shares of Home Shopping Network stock under its expired tender offer, boosting its stake to 41.5%, Liberty said Friday. The purchase extends Liberty’s influence over the shop-by-TV business. It also owns a 23% stake in Home Shopping’s biggest rival, QVC Networks. Liberty […]

  • Harvey Weinstein Quentin Tarantino

    Quentin Tarantino on Harvey Weinstein: 'I Knew Enough to Do More Than I Did'

    CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Liberty Media Corp. has agreed to buy almost 16.3 million shares of Home Shopping Network stock under its expired tender offer, boosting its stake to 41.5%, Liberty said Friday. The purchase extends Liberty’s influence over the shop-by-TV business. It also owns a 23% stake in Home Shopping’s biggest rival, QVC Networks. Liberty […]

  • Harvey Weinstein

    LAPD Investigating Rape Claim Against Harvey Weinstein

    CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Liberty Media Corp. has agreed to buy almost 16.3 million shares of Home Shopping Network stock under its expired tender offer, boosting its stake to 41.5%, Liberty said Friday. The purchase extends Liberty’s influence over the shop-by-TV business. It also owns a 23% stake in Home Shopping’s biggest rival, QVC Networks. Liberty […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content