Financial Briefs

General Instrument Corp., the largest manufacturer of cable TV set-top boxes, confirmed board member Daniel F. Akerson as chairman and chief executive, effective Aug. 28. He replaces Donald Rumsfeld, who will remain as a director.

Akerson is president and chief operating officer of MCI Communications Corp.

EMI Music is acquiring a stake in Musicom Intl., a dealer of high-end rock music memorabilia. EMI, one of the world’s largest music companies, intends to invest $ 1 million in Musicom for a 10% share, plus lend $ 4 million more. The loan would be convertible into an additional 41% of the shares, and EMI can up its stake to 80%. After April 1, 1996, the remaining 20% could be acquired.

Hughes-AVICOM Intl. has received a $ 19 million order from Virgin Atlantic Airways to equip the airline’s seats with hardware to carry Nintendo videogames and other in-flight services. The GM/Hughes Electronics Corp. subsid expects to have the units installed in every seat of Virgin’s 11-plane fleet by the end of 1994.

Children’s Broadcasting Corp. of Minneapolis reached a preliminary agreement to buy Orange County Broadcasting Corp., which operates L.A. radio station KPLS-AM. Terms were not disclosed. Deal is contingent on definitive merger agreement and FCC approval.

More Biz

  • Hand out image - Free of

    Philanthropy at the Core of Scooter Braun's Business

    General Instrument Corp., the largest manufacturer of cable TV set-top boxes, confirmed board member Daniel F. Akerson as chairman and chief executive, effective Aug. 28. He replaces Donald Rumsfeld, who will remain as a director. Akerson is president and chief operating officer of MCI Communications Corp. EMI Music is acquiring a stake in Musicom Intl., […]

  • Jeremy Piven

    'Entourage' Extra Claims Jeremy Piven Assaulted Her in New Allegation

    General Instrument Corp., the largest manufacturer of cable TV set-top boxes, confirmed board member Daniel F. Akerson as chairman and chief executive, effective Aug. 28. He replaces Donald Rumsfeld, who will remain as a director. Akerson is president and chief operating officer of MCI Communications Corp. EMI Music is acquiring a stake in Musicom Intl., […]

  • This, photo shows the 21st Century

    Comcast, Disney Keep Focus on 21st Century Fox Assets Despite AT&T-Time Warner Battle

    General Instrument Corp., the largest manufacturer of cable TV set-top boxes, confirmed board member Daniel F. Akerson as chairman and chief executive, effective Aug. 28. He replaces Donald Rumsfeld, who will remain as a director. Akerson is president and chief operating officer of MCI Communications Corp. EMI Music is acquiring a stake in Musicom Intl., […]

  • Scorpion-cbs TV Show

    How Scooter Braun Turned Luck With First Series 'Scorpion' Into Prolific TV Business

    General Instrument Corp., the largest manufacturer of cable TV set-top boxes, confirmed board member Daniel F. Akerson as chairman and chief executive, effective Aug. 28. He replaces Donald Rumsfeld, who will remain as a director. Akerson is president and chief operating officer of MCI Communications Corp. EMI Music is acquiring a stake in Musicom Intl., […]

  • Peter Thiel

    Billionaire Peter Thiel Sells Majority of Facebook Stake, Pocketing $29 Million

    General Instrument Corp., the largest manufacturer of cable TV set-top boxes, confirmed board member Daniel F. Akerson as chairman and chief executive, effective Aug. 28. He replaces Donald Rumsfeld, who will remain as a director. Akerson is president and chief operating officer of MCI Communications Corp. EMI Music is acquiring a stake in Musicom Intl., […]

  • Justin Bieber Ariana Grande Kanye West

    From Ariana to Watt: Catching Up With Scooter Braun's 20 Clients as SB Projects Turns 10

    General Instrument Corp., the largest manufacturer of cable TV set-top boxes, confirmed board member Daniel F. Akerson as chairman and chief executive, effective Aug. 28. He replaces Donald Rumsfeld, who will remain as a director. Akerson is president and chief operating officer of MCI Communications Corp. EMI Music is acquiring a stake in Musicom Intl., […]

  • Scooter Braun Team

    Meet the Six Key Execs Who Help Scooter Braun Care for Roster of Clients

    General Instrument Corp., the largest manufacturer of cable TV set-top boxes, confirmed board member Daniel F. Akerson as chairman and chief executive, effective Aug. 28. He replaces Donald Rumsfeld, who will remain as a director. Akerson is president and chief operating officer of MCI Communications Corp. EMI Music is acquiring a stake in Musicom Intl., […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content