Struggling with sagging attendance and growing losses, Euro Disney on Monday denied reports it is considering shutting down but said temporary closure off-season hasn’t been ruled out.
The Magic Kingdom, east of Paris, has lost money since it opened in April of last year.
On Friday, the Euro Disney group that operates the theme park and resort reported a 2.4% fall in operating revenue in its third quarter ended June 30. The company also confirmed it posted a loss of $ 83 million during the three-month period, and that officials were considering how to restructure to cut costs.
The Sunday Times of London reported that Euro Disney and California-based Walt Disney executives over the weekend discussed in “crisis talks” a number of options, including “potential closure,” according to an unnamed Euro Disney spokesman.
“A shutdown of the park was never envisaged,” Euro Disney president Philippe Bourguignon said in a statement responding to the report, adding that “no crisis meeting took place last weekend.”