You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Discovery buys remainder of Europe stake

Discovery Communications Inc. has bought out stakes held by a division of Tele-Communications Inc. in the Discovery Channel Europe and the Learning Channel Europe for an undisclosed amount, the companies said yesterday.

In return, Discovery has hired that TCI division to manage the European operations of Discovery.

Under the terms of the deal, Discovery Communications will control 100% of TDC Europe, a London-based cable and satellite service offering eight hours of programming daily to viewers in the U.K., Ireland, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Holland, Norway and Sweden.

Before the deal, Discovery owned just 30% of Discovery Europe and none of the Learning Channel in the United Kingdom. It is acquiring the remaining 70% in Discovery Europe and 100% of the Learning Channel from United Artists Entertainment Programming, a unit of TCI. UAEP will continue to manage the program, satellite operations, distribution, marketing and sales of the two services.

Joyce Taylor, currently CEO of UAEP, will now report directly to Hendricks on all activities dealing with the two services. Taylor will report to Adam Singer, TCI’s VP of international, on all issues concerning UAEP.

Grey Moyer has been named executive VP of programming for Discovery Communications Inc. with responsibility for the creation and acquisition of the company’s programming domestically and internationally.

More Biz

  • Kanye West VMAs

    Kanye West and Manager Scooter Braun Part Ways Professionally

    Discovery Communications Inc. has bought out stakes held by a division of Tele-Communications Inc. in the Discovery Channel Europe and the Learning Channel Europe for an undisclosed amount, the companies said yesterday. In return, Discovery has hired that TCI division to manage the European operations of Discovery. Under the terms of the deal, Discovery Communications […]

  • Roc Nation Names Phil McIntyre President

    Roc Nation Names Phil McIntyre President of Management (EXCLUSIVE)

    Discovery Communications Inc. has bought out stakes held by a division of Tele-Communications Inc. in the Discovery Channel Europe and the Learning Channel Europe for an undisclosed amount, the companies said yesterday. In return, Discovery has hired that TCI division to manage the European operations of Discovery. Under the terms of the deal, Discovery Communications […]

  • Darcus Beese

    Darcus Beese of Island Records U.K. to Take Helm at U.S. Label: Sources

    Discovery Communications Inc. has bought out stakes held by a division of Tele-Communications Inc. in the Discovery Channel Europe and the Learning Channel Europe for an undisclosed amount, the companies said yesterday. In return, Discovery has hired that TCI division to manage the European operations of Discovery. Under the terms of the deal, Discovery Communications […]

  • Netflix placeholder

    Netflix Stock Slips After Streamer Announces $1.9 Billion Junk-Bond Offering

    Discovery Communications Inc. has bought out stakes held by a division of Tele-Communications Inc. in the Discovery Channel Europe and the Learning Channel Europe for an undisclosed amount, the companies said yesterday. In return, Discovery has hired that TCI division to manage the European operations of Discovery. Under the terms of the deal, Discovery Communications […]

  • Bill Cosby departs after his sexual

    Bill Cosby Trial: Closing Arguments Paint Two Different Pictures of Disgraced Entertainer

    Discovery Communications Inc. has bought out stakes held by a division of Tele-Communications Inc. in the Discovery Channel Europe and the Learning Channel Europe for an undisclosed amount, the companies said yesterday. In return, Discovery has hired that TCI division to manage the European operations of Discovery. Under the terms of the deal, Discovery Communications […]

  • Merger Mayhem

    Merger Mayhem: Media Companies Scramble to Bulk Up in Order to Survive

    Discovery Communications Inc. has bought out stakes held by a division of Tele-Communications Inc. in the Discovery Channel Europe and the Learning Channel Europe for an undisclosed amount, the companies said yesterday. In return, Discovery has hired that TCI division to manage the European operations of Discovery. Under the terms of the deal, Discovery Communications […]

  • Bruce Springsteen and Patti SmithWorld Premiere

    Bruce Springsteen Joins Patti Smith on Stage at Tribeca 'Horses' Premiere

    Discovery Communications Inc. has bought out stakes held by a division of Tele-Communications Inc. in the Discovery Channel Europe and the Learning Channel Europe for an undisclosed amount, the companies said yesterday. In return, Discovery has hired that TCI division to manage the European operations of Discovery. Under the terms of the deal, Discovery Communications […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content