Carmike Cinemas Inc. leapfrogged AMC Entertainment Inc. to become the second largest exhibitor in the country in the number of screens it operates.Carmike bought 19 theaters, with 80 screens, from Manos Enterprises Inc. to bring the number of screens Carmike operates to 1,643, based largely in the southern United States. AMC has 1,633 screens, with many concentrated in urban markets. The nation’s largest exhibitor, United Artists Theatre Circuit Inc., has roughly 2,300 screens. Terms of the Carmike deal were not disclosed. The theaters are located in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland and New York. The Columbus, Ga., company plans to open another 58 screens by the end of the year, pushing it over 1,700 screens operated.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut