The Motion Picture Assn. of America assisted the Suffolk County, N.Y., District Attorney’s office in raids of suspected pirate video operations at 24 locations on Sept. 30, resulting in 16 arrests.The action capped a six-month investigation and netted 90 VCRs, 5,587 counterfeit videocassettes, five vehicles and more than $ 7,000 in cash. Three residences, a duplication lab and 15 video stores were searched in Suffolk and Nassau counties and in Queens. The majority of the seized cassettes were pirate copies of FoxVideo’s “My Cousin Vinny,” Vidmark’s “Stepfather 3” and MGM/UA’s “Criss Cross.” Those arrested were charged under N.Y.’s true name and address statutes, and also under state fraud and conspiracy statutes.
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut