An electrician who worked on the movie “Malcolm X” has sued director Spike Lee and others for $ 10 million for injuries he suffered when a “security guard” allegedly shoved him through a plate glass window.Blain Brown, 43, said he was attacked Nov. 13, 1991, while working at 225 W. 116th St. in Harlem. He charged that his attacker had been one of about 40 men toting crowbars and hammers who ordered the set shut down until local people were hired. The next day, Brown said in papers filed in Manhattan state Supreme Court, people from this group appeared and announced they had been hired as “guards” for the film’s shooting. Among the guards hired was Terence Lee, who Brown said “flew into violent rages for no reason.” Brown’s lawyer, Paul Appel, said that three weeks after the “guards” were hired, “Blain heard (Terence) Lee yelling all kinds of racist stuff at a white martial arts expert for about 15 minutes.” In an attempt to head off violence, Appel said, “Blain told (Terence) Lee, ‘Hey, take it easy,’ and Lee grabs him by the lapels and shoves him through a plate glass window.” Appel said Lee was never arrested for the alleged attack. The lawyer said Spike Lee, his 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks, Warner Bros. and other defendants are being sued in part because “they had nothing in the way of security” on the movie set. The film is a 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks production. Spike Lee, said to be out of the country, was not available for comment. No one at the “Malcolm X” production offices would comment. Meanwhile, lawyer John Mulcahy said, his clients–Lee and his companies–are denying any responsibility for what happened to Brown. WB had no comment.
For all variety's headlines, follow us @variety on twitter