Columbia Pictures Television is exploring the possibility of launching an in-house barter unit to sell national time for “Married… With Children,” according to CPT syndie prez Barry Thurston.
“There has been no decision yet on… whether we will sell it ourselves or take it to someone else,” he said.
The company expects to profit handsomely from the one minute of national barter time it has carved out in “Married.” Thurston said that 70% of the sitcom’s clearances are in access, with the remaining 30% in latenight slots.
In the top 50 markets, access accounts for 85% of the clearances, compared with 40% for Col’s “Who’s The Boss?” and 25% for Viacom’s “The Cosby Show.”
A decision could be announced this week at the National Assn. of Television Program Executives conference in New Orleans.
While a poster for Col’s “Designing Women,” was prominently displayed in CPT’s suite at the recent Assn. of Independent Television Stations confab, there has been no official announcement about how Col will roll out the sitcom.